The Village of Sheffield has an immediate opening for a Superintendent of Public Works position. This is a full-time salary position.
Purpose of Position
Ability to communicate and lead by example. Be a self motivated team player with the ability to work alone..
Must be able to schedule, oversee and perform tasks related to the day-to-day maintenance and repair of Village infrastructure including streets, right-of-ways, water, sewer, parks and other public properties. This position shall be supervised by, report to, and be accountable to Village President and Village Board of Trustees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
● Oversee the operation and maintenance of municipal water system and sewer distribution systems
● Responsible for the conduct and performance of all public works employees ● Shall be the custodian of all vehicles, equipment, structures, and property provided by the Village for the use of the department.
● Make inspections, measurements, and tests as necessary for all equipment and property.
● Perform other duties that may be assigned as stated above or by the Village Board.
Required to perform various standard tasks using a wide variety of manual and powered equipment including, but not limited to: drills, power saws, shovels, rakes, mowers, trimmers, wheelbarrows, tampers, compressors, chippers, jackhammers, and mowers.
Drive light to heavy duty vehicles and receive training in the operation and care of vehicles and equipment.
Oversee and assist with:
● maintenance, repair, and replacement of water, sewer, culverts, storm drains, and cleaning of storm sewers.
● snow plowing
● general landscaping work including mowing, trimming, weeding and mulching. brush pickup and transport.
● maintenance of parks and other public facilities. Remove trash from parks, right of ways, and other public spaces.
Be on call for emergencies, such as water main breaks, sewer backups, snow plowing, downed trees, etc. on a case by case basis.
Utilizes proper safety precautions related to all work performed and adheres to all departmental and Village safety policies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Two years of professional supervisory and management experience, evidence of post-secondary education or training, interest and ability in maintaining village utilities and assets, good communication and leadership skills, interest and ability in understanding municipal governance and municipal infrastructure.
Must possess or obtain in a timely fashion, an Illinois commercial drivers license, CDL class B with air brakes endorsement . Village will support and assist in CDL training and licensing if necessary
Job Type: Full-time
Package to include vacation, sick pay, paid holidays, retirement, health savings account and other negotiated benefits. Total Compensation Package starting at: $56,000
Candidates wishing to apply should submit a cover letter, resume. Please include desired wage and any other applicable credentials and references electronically to Village Office Manager Adrienne Ries via email email@example.com . No paper applications will be accepted. Applications accepted until position is filled or September 25, 2023, whichever comes first.